Thursday, February 7, 2008



It's been great reliving these "old times". We moved to Woodbridge in 1948 when my father opened a bowling alley in Perth Amboy. What I remember most vividly is the way our entire social life revolved around the "Center". Virtually all our friends were members - it held such an important place in every facet of our lives. I remember going to play volley ball on Sunday mornings, getting out of school early once a week for Hebrew School and going to services Friday night (parent approved social time).

My parents moved from Woodbridge in 1964. My mother passed away in 1985 and my father in 1995. I now live in East Brunswick with my husband of forty plus years - Gary Schwartz. Gary is an attorney here and I work in his office. We have two "children" - Rob who is the Dean of Admissions at UCLA Law in Los Angeles and Lynn, also an attorney, who lives in Clifton Park, NY with her husband and two daughters. My sister is living in Highland Park with her husband Richard Mitnick. She has a son who has two children (the oldest of whom will have her bat-mitzvah this fall), living in San Diego, and a daughter who has two children and lives in Los Angeles.

Nona Levine Schwartz

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Nona, I remember the Tobeys because they lived across the street from me on Grove Avenue, just a couple of short blocks from your house. After they moved (to Staten Island), the Nedzelas moved into their house and them later moved next door to you. I had forgotten about them. Thank you for reminding me!
Ellen Gutman Chenaux

mmalpern said...

Nona,

Hello. in your photo of your 'first party with boys' Victor Ostrower is next to Charles Hutner and Gary Ostrower is next to Kenny Klein.
Morris Alpern

Sharon Kaufman said...

Nona -
I love these pictures and the words about your family and "The Center." Your post takes me right back to the '50s in Woodbridge. How about one of you and your family now?
- Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thanks for identifying the Ostrowers - it was bothering me that I couldn't remember their names.